6 Effective Ways To Boost Your Immune System
Immunity And Immune System
The immune system is the strength to maintain our body. This strength can’t be sensed separately, but it surely plays an important role in building your bodywork. Your immune system does an amazing job to defend your body from any disease.
But how many of us know what immunity is? If said in very simple words, “immunity protects against diseases.”
Now again the question comes, what is the immune system in the body?
The complex network of cells and proteins that prevents contamination of our bodies, called the immune system. The immune system retains the record of every germ (microbe) it has ever defeated and if the same microbe enters the body again, the immune system can recognize and abolish it.
At present, the whole world is going through a pandemic of COVID19 and in such a situation; you are keeping social distancing, washing your hands repeatedly and keeping your hands away from your face. With this, one thing we all are repeatedly saying that we should increase our immunity so that we do not fall prey to any infection.
Changing seasons and pandemic-like things can remind us of immune health, but in reality, it’s always essential. According to India Fit Report-2020, about 21% of the total population in India has low immunity. Studies also show that people who have diseases like diabetes, thyroid, high blood pressure, etc. generally have low immunity levels and need to be more careful about their health. Even with ageing, your immunity decreases.
The good thing is that even if you don’t control some things, there are still many things that you can control and the things you can control is, eating healthy and maintaining a clean, healthy lifestyle.
How To Boost Your Immune System?
There are no such magical ways to strengthen the immune system. You have to take preventive measures for strengthening your immune system and these measures are:
1. Balanced Diet
An important aspect of your overall health and the immune system is the food you eat. “Rainbow Diet”-a good rule is to improve the immune system at any age.
- Eat low carbs which will help control high blood sugar, diabetes and high blood pressure.
- Have a protein-rich diet to keep body and muscles strong. The Zinc present in the protein, aids in the production of white blood cells, which fight infection. Eggs, nuts, beans and soy products are some protein-rich foods. Sunflower seeds, flax seeds, pumpkin seeds and melon seeds are excellent sources of protein and vitamin E.
- Consume beta carotene, ascorbic acid & other essential vitamins rich green vegetables and fruits regularly. Spinach, broccoli, mushroom, tomato, etc. will be good options to build immunity in the body against infections. Citrus fruits like lemon, lime, grapefruit, and oranges are rich in vitamin C.
- Include natural immune supplements like ginger, amla (gooseberry) and turmeric in your daily diet.
- Also eat immunity-boosting herbs like garlic, basil leaves and black cumin.
- Probiotics are helpful bacteria that are important for both intestine and immune health. Yoghurt, Yakult and fermented food probiotics are excellent sources for rejuvenating the structure of bacteria, which is important for the absorption of nutrients by the body. These are also good options for the older generation.
2. Sufficient Sleep
Getting enough sleep also allows you to overcome infections and fight infection, like a balanced diet. When you sleep, your body is very much busy in repairs itself and releases toxins so that in the morning person feels re-energized.
Lack of sleep has a direct effect on our immunity because it will prevent the body from doing its work. For adults, 6-8 hours of sleep per night is sufficient. Children require more.
3. Stay Hydrated
Drink plenty of water because water will help to cleanse the toxins from the body and reduce the possibility of flu. Drink at least 8-10 glasses of water in a day. A properly hydrated body is always equipped for maximum immunity.
Don’t drink too much alcohol nor drink daily as it acts as a diuretic and can dehydrate the body.
4. Regular Workout
As your body needs a balanced and nutritious diet, it also needs movement. Walking or light exercise helps to release toxins from your body. Its main advantages are to reduce inflammation and improve immune regulation.
Moderate exercise keeps your muscles active, improves metabolism and can reduce the risk of illness. Depending on your tolerance, 30 to 60 minutes of daily, low-to- moderate-intensity physical activity is beneficial to boost your immunity.
5. Try To Reduce Stress
A stressful life can have a significant impact on both your physical and mental health. Your body's immune system does a better job of fighting disease and wounds when it is stress-free. According to the study, in India 9 out of 10 people suffer from stress.
Stress increases various health risks such as sleep problems, heart problem, depression and high blood pressure. Try these methods to reduce stress
- Stop overthinking
- Start meditating
- Read books
- Spend time with family and friends
- Seek professional help if needed
6. Avoid Smoking
Doctors, medical researchers and health professionals have all documented the negative effects of cigarette smoking. Stroke, COPD, lung cancer, heart diseases are some diseases associated with tobacco products that reduce the body's immune response to the extent that your body stops fighting foreign infections.
Maintaining a strong immunity with current lifestyles is indeed a challenge. But definitely with the above-mentioned changes in food and lifestyle, you can boost your immune system.