8 Amazing Health Benefits Of Drinking Water
Every day, everyone keeps advising us to “drink plenty of water”. Drinking water has many benefits. But nobody has ever explained exactly what the benefits of drinking water are?
Most of us know that about two-thirds of an adult human body is made up of water. But you also need to know that your tissues and organs are mainly made of water. Let's see what percentage (approx.) of water is in different parts of our body.
- Brain – 80% water
- Muscles (including your heart) – 75% water
- Blood – 83% water
- Lungs – 90% water
- Skin – 64% water
- Bones – 30% water
Now think, if there is so much water content in important parts of our body, then how important is it for us to drink the adequate amount of water? Now maybe we understand how important it is to think of water as a nutrient your body needs.
Here we will know those important reasons why you should stay hydrated and what are the benefits of drinking water for your health.
1 Boosts Brain Function
Dehydration can negatively affect the way your brain works and since there is mostly water in your brain, drinking it helps you in various ways, including:
- Improve concentration and cognition
- Improves your mood and emotions
- Maintain memory function
- Increases blood flow and oxygen in the brain
- Reducing stress
- Treats and prevents headaches
2 Relieve Constipation
Water supports break down the foodstuff you eat so that your body can absorb nutrients. Water also keeps your bowel function running smoothly. And thus water helps prevent constipation.
But if you are dehydrated, your body draws water from your stool to maintain drainage, which dries up your colon and makes it more difficult for waste to pass that causes constipation.
3 Helps Energize Muscles
Water helps prevent muscle cramping and also maintains lubricants of joints in your body. Water delivers oxygen to the body's cells, including your muscles. That's why drinking plenty of water enables your muscles to work long and hard before feeling exhausted, and this will help you form muscle.
So, it is very important to remain adequately hydrated while exercising.
4 Helps In Weight Loss
The biggest advantage of drinking water means losing weight. Water contains zero calories. It can increase your metabolism. Many research studies have shown that drinking a large glass of cold water will increase metabolism by 24-30% for up to 90 minutes.
After drinking cold water, the body has to spend a lot of energy to increase its temperature. This means you burn more calories. And thus it helps in weight loss with burning calories.
There is one more thing you can do to lose weight with drinking water. Drink approximately 1 glass of cold water 30 minutes before every meal. By doing this you will feel fuller so that you will eat fewer calories.
5 May Help Treat Kidney Stones
Being dehydrated can cause kidney stones and other problems. Water can help prevent the initial formation of stones in the kidneys by diluting salts and minerals.
Consumption of more water increases the amount of urine passing through the kidney, which decreases the concentration of minerals, so they are less likely to crystallize and form clusters.
There are some ways to identify that you are drinking enough water to take care of your kidney:
- Urine should be a light yellow colour.
- If the urine is dark yellow then you are dehydrated.
- If the urine is colourless you are over hydrated.
6 Healthy Skin
The skin contains almost 64% water. Drinking enough amount of water hydrates the skin cells and revitalizes them, which can keep your skin supple and radiant.
Water helps refill skin tissue, nourishes your skin, and increases the elasticity of your skin. It also flushes out impurities from the body and improves circulation and blood flow which is helpful for glowing and youthful skin.
Drinking less water can make your skin more dry and wrinkled, which can be better with proper hydration.
7 Detoxify The Body
Your body excretes wastes through sweat, urine and faeces and your kidneys and liver excrete those waste products and other toxins from your body. This process can work well and efficiently only if your body is well hydrated. And if you are not drinking enough water then you are at risk of developing kidney stones and maybe suffering urinary tract infection.
8 Other Benefits Of Drinking Enough Water
- Forms saliva and mucus
- Delivers oxygen throughout the body
- Regulates body temperature
- Helps maintain blood pressure
- Boosts performance during exercise
- Reduces the chance of a hangover
- Boosts immune system
- Prevents backaches
- Improve heart health
- Prevents bad breathe
- Prevents hair fall
Is There Any Recommended Intake Of Water Per Day?
Your body's water requirement depends on how active you are, how much you sweat, and so on. That is why the amount of water required by each person varies from one person to another. By the way, no one has told any definite amount of water that should be consumed daily, but normally recommended daily intake of water from both food and drink is
- For Men – 3-4 litres (approx.)
- For Women – 2-3 litres (approx.)
When It Is More Important To Drink Plenty Of Water?
- If you have a fever
- If the weather is hot
- If you have vomiting and diarrhoea
- If you sweat a lot
- If you have a lot of physical activities like sports, exercise or others
Tips To Consume Enough Water Each Day
- Make sure to carry your own water bottle wherever you go (in your car, at your desk, in your bag etc.)
- Set reminders on your phone or you can go with any water tracker app
- Instead of sodas and colas, drink plain water
- Comprise more water-rich foods in your diet
- Reduce intake of foods and beverages that cause dehydration
- You can add some herbs (mint and coriander, slices of pineapple and cucumber, spices like cinnamon etc.) to plain water to make it tastier.
- Drink a glass of water after every restroom break
- Keep a water jug or water bottle in every room
If you are not drinking enough water in a day, so now after knowing so many benefits of drinking water, we request you to "drink plenty of water and be healthy".